Monday, January 25, 2010

To build or not build?

We want a house. We are tired Carl's basement, although I love Carl, I just don't love that which is his basement.

So, since Josh has recently finished school, and has joined the ranks of the full time employed, we have decided to get a move on.

We first looked at existing homes. A LOT. A lot of short sales and foreclosures. (since that is about all that is available these days) We saw lots of "Fixer-uppers" and some that only needed minimal work, BUT, we decided, hey, if we are going to do work, we might as well do the whole enchilada!

So, we have enlisted the help of a VERY well qualified, and gifted home builder, and are trying to get things started.

First on the list, Lot. We have two picked out. One in Syracuse, which is actually a really nice neighborhood. Not super far west (that was one of my stipulations) and not within miles of power lines. Will someone from Davis County please tell me the need for SO many power lines??? About half the lots we have looked at have a gigantic power station in the yard. What is the deal? Anyway, the other lot is in East Layton. A little far North, but BEAUTIFUL! Just west of Hwy 89, it has great views, and a 20 minute commute to Pineview. If you haven't already figured it out, this one is by far Josh's favorite...

It is so much fun to think about building our "own" house, but as soon as I think how fun it is, I think how freaking scary it is! I may like to spend a few $$ at Banana Republic here and there, but forking out the $$$$$$$ it takes to buy a lot, build a house, and pay your monthly Mortgage is another thing entirely!

Thanks to my very awesome brother for being so willing to help. Thanks also to my sisters who have to listen to me whine and have to keep reassuring me everything is going to be alright. :) Thankfully, they are all seasoned pros at this house building/buying thing. Although they are wonderful substitutes, I do still wish my mom was here to walk me through this.

7 comments:

  1. I think you mean Kelli is a seasoned pro, not I. ;) You'll be just fine. You have a good attitude about it, and things will fall into place. If it's meant to be, it will happen. I'm excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy building or hunting...whichever way finally works out. Fun for you, your first home of your own. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I so know what you mean about the $$$$, but it's not that bad. I'm excited to hear about it and see you guys in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When it's all said and done you will think, "what was all the fuss about!" It's all exciting! And since I'm filling in for Mom, now is the time for baby!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! Thats really fun and exciting. And I agree with Jill, where is the baby already?!?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!! Good luck with your decision. Sounds like a wonderful investment, how nice is it that Josh can do all that construction stuff? Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see it get started! I am a seasoned acting general contractor, although it has been many seasons since I did it...

    ReplyDelete